A 30-year-old woman has become the latest person arrested after a string of thefts from auto dealers in Westchester.
Westchester County District Attorney Anthony A. Scarpino, Jr. announced the arrest on Tuesday in the theft of a Toyota SUV from a Mount Kisco car dealership using a stolen identity.
Shamakia Walker turned herself into Mount Kisco Police Sunday. She was arraigned in Village of Mount Kisco Justice Court on two charges: grand larceny in the second degree, a Class C felony, and identity theft in the first degree, a Class D felony. Bail was set at $2,500 cash or $5,000 bond. She is expected back in court In Mount Kisco on Thursday, July 19.
The felony complaint alleges Walker went to Mariano Rivera Toyota in Mount Kisco on Jan. 15, 2018. There, she assumed the identity of the victim, Scarpino said.
She used the victim’s personal identifying information to secure a car loan in the amount of $52,000 to purchase a new black 2017 Toyota 4 Runner SUV, according to Scarpino.
Walker produced a fraudulent New Jersey State driver’s license bearing the victim’s pedigree and had extensive knowledge of the victim’s employment history, Scarpino said, noting that Walker took possession of the Toyota on that same date. The stolen vehicle has not been recovered.
This case is one of a string of related auto thefts from October 2017 to February 2018 at the following dealerships:
- Ray Catena Lexus of Larchmont, Town of Mamaroneck > stole a Lexus (Oct. 20, 2017)
- Land Rover of New Rochelle, New Rochelle > stole a Land Rover (Nov. 20, 2017)
- Rivera Toyota, Mount Kisco > stole a Toyota 4 Runner (Jan. 15, 2018)
- Lexus of Mount Kisco, Mount Kisco > attempted to steal a vehicle (Jan. 24, 2018)
- Croton AutoPark, Croton-on-Hudson > stole a Range Rover (Feb. 8, 2018)
- Mercedes-Benz, Goldens Bridge > stole Mercedes S500 (Feb. 15, 2018)
In each case, a new victim’s identity was used for each auto “purchase.” Because the stolen vehicles were sourced from several dealerships and locations, the investigation is continuing and more arrests are pending.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.