PELHAM, N.Y. -- The due date for applications with the Pelham Civic Association is Friday as the group prepares to award five scholarships to local high school and college students who demonstrate enthusiasm and motivation in community service, charitable support and civic leadership.
The Pelham Civic Association says these three traits are the hallmark of its culture. The group honors the five people with the scholarships in their names while encouraging local students to follow their example.
Two awards are usually presented during the high school graduation ceremony:
- The Vincent J. Lopardi Community Service Award is named for one of the group's founding fathers who served two terms as president. A $5,000 award is presented to a graduating high school senior residing in Pelham who best exemplifies his civic pride and community spirit.
- The Camillo J. D’Urso Charitable Support Award is named for a member of nearly 20 years who donated countless hours and financial help to charitable causes. A total of $5,000 will be presented to either a high school, college or graduate student who resides in Pelham and who best exemplifies leadership and support in charitable work.
The remaining three are presented at the PMHS Awards Assembly:
- The Honorable Richard J. Daronco Civic Leadership Award is named for a federal judge and member for nearly 30 years. The award is presented to a Pelham High School junior class student who personifies civic leadership and responsibility along with the ideals and principals of the late judge. The award includes an expense-paid trip to serve as the Pelham representative to the Model Congress or Model United Nations program, or similar program, with expenses paid up to $1,500.
- The Joseph L. Nunziata Award for Creativity and Service is named for a current member who has used his creative talents in many ways and who was named the Pelham Civic Association Man of the Year in 1998. The $1,000 award recognizes a student for outstanding spirit and imagination and artistic talent used in the service of the community.
- The Philip J. Colicchio Award for Leadership is named for a current member who personifies the virtues of effective leadership and devotes boundless energy and time to the community. The Pelham Civic Association honored him in 1995 by naming him Man of the Year and in 2003 the United Way of Pelham named him as its Man of the Year. The $1,000 award for leadership is presented each year to the incoming PMHS president of the student association.
Dr. John Pacia is the community awards chairman of the Pelham Civic Association. For more information, call him at 914-738-2195, email him at email@example.com or visit the group's website . The applications can also be found online .
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.