PELHAM, N.Y. -- Pelham Memorial High School students Matt Baffuto and Will Ruocco will have their literary compositions published in the 10th annual edition of Il Giornalino -- The Italian Journal.
The journal highlights the writings from high school and college students in Italian classes throughout New York State.
It is an outreach initiative promoted by the John D. Calandra Italian American Institute at Queens College, City University of New York.
The journal's goal is motivating students to increase their knowledge of the Italian language and culture and increase enrollment in Italian language classes.
Baffuto submitted an essay entitled "La Riforma Linguistica Nell Aula Americana" (Language Reform in the American Classroom) and Ruocco submitted an original poem.
Both Baffuto and Ruocco were excited to learn about Il Giornalino and immediately decided to submit some of their writing for potential publication.
At the time of submission, both students were engaged in a poetry unit in Italian class and learning about early Italian poets like Dante Alighieri and more contemporary poets like Diego Valeri.
Baffuto and Ruocco plan to continue their study of Italian in Syracuse University Project Advance Italian next year.
- 1 Police Identify Teenagers Involved In Fatal Accident Near Port Chester HS
- 2 Snow Likely In Pelham On Busiest Travel Day Of The Year
- 3 Pelham Could See 4-8 Inches Of Snow Wednesday
- 4 Raising Social Consciouness -- and Serving Thanksgiving Dinner -- In Pelham
- 5 Up To One Inch Of Rain Could Fall Overnight In Pelham