PELHAM, N.Y. – Pelham schools will have a new leader in place when Peter Giarrizzo takes over for Dennis Lauro, who retired Dec. 31.
Former superintendent Charles Wilson will serve in the position until Giarrizzo starts July 1.
Giarrizzo said he is looking forward to his new role.
“I am very excited and honored to be selected to serve as Pelham’s superintendent,” said Giarrizzo, currently assistant superintendent for curriculum, instruction and personnel.
Board of Education President Lisa Kiernan said, “Mr. Giarrizzo will bring to this job a passion for excellence and a proven record of commitment to a rich educational experience for all students.”
“He has a highly collaborative leadership style, exemplary listening and communication skills and strong operational and fiscal capabilities,” she said.
“In selecting Mr. Giarrizzo, the board has chosen a talented and experienced educational leader who is deeply dedicated to the district’s highest priority of academic excellence.”
The district hired consulting firm Hazard, Young to look for candidates. The firm helped prepare the board for interviews with the candidates.
Giarrizzo's appointment will be made official when the school board meets Jan. 28.
- 1 NYPD Detective Killed, Driver Injured In Wrong-Way Sprain Brook Crash
- 2 March Comes In Like A Lion As Latest Snowstorm Hits Pelham
- 3 Pelham Will See Widespread Snow Sunday Into Monday
- 4 Former NBA All-Star, New York Knicks Player Anthony Mason Dies At 48
- 5 Numerous Accidents Reported On Slippery Westchester Roadways