NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. – The death of Fernando Aguilar, the 40-year-old man struck by a train in New Rochelle on Monday, July 21, has been ruled an attempted suicide by police.
Shortly after 8:30 p.m. on Monday, officials from the Metropolitan Transportation Authority responded to the Metro-North train station in New Rochelle, where Aguilar reportedly threw himself in front of the train.
The initial strike didn’t kill the victim, but he died hours later while being treated at Montefiore Medical Center in New Rochelle,.
Brian Johnson, who takes the train to work everyday from the New Rochelle Metro North Station, lives across the street at the nearby Halstead Metro-North apartments. He noted that there was not a lot of commotion on Monday night following the incident.
“I couldn’t believe when I read about a train accident the next day,” he said. “There wasn’t any craziness, lights or sirens as far as I could tell. They had everything cleaned up quickly.”
- 1 Police Identify Teenagers Involved In Fatal Accident Near Port Chester HS
- 2 Snow Likely In Pelham On Busiest Travel Day Of The Year
- 3 Pelham Could See 4-8 Inches Of Snow Wednesday
- 4 Raising Social Consciouness -- and Serving Thanksgiving Dinner -- In Pelham
- 5 Up To One Inch Of Rain Could Fall Overnight In Pelham