PELHAM, N.Y. — The Pelham Daily Voice heads into the New Year by counting down, in no particular order, the Top 10 headlines from 2012.
A lucky Pelham family of three and their dog escaped an early morning four-alarm fire that caused extensive damage to the newly refurbished den of their home at 235 Corona Ave. on July 7.
Patrick and Jackie Hopper grabbed their 8-year-old son, Kolby, and bolted from the house with their dog after being awakened by the fire alarm around 1 a.m. Jackie called 911 and the Pelham Fire Department was able to extinguish the blaze before it reached other parts of the house.
Pelham Fire Department Lt. Jim DiNapoli credited his firefighters plus those from Pelham Manor, New Rochelle and Mount Vernon, who also responded to the fire. He said the French doors, which were closed in the den, prevented the tragedy from being worse.
“They had sealed the room off, which was good,” said DiNapoli at the time.
The Hoppers were staying next door with their neighbors until they could go back to their home. Patrick Hopper was glad it was not more damaging, saying that “it can always be worse.”
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.