PELHAM, N.Y. - Here are some of the stories that topped the news in Pelham last week:
- Two armed robbers remained on the loose Friday after a heist Thursday at a Pelham Manor gift store, News 12 Westchester reports.
- The state Department of Health is advising parents and health care providers to be aware of the signs and symptoms of a serious respiratory illness known as enterovirus EV-D68, which has now been confirmed in more than a dozen children in New York state.
- Seventeen Westchester County municipalities were ranked in Safe Choice Security's "29 Safest Cities" in New York.
- There are six communities scrambling this week to defend certain local zoning laws that a new affordable housing report says "cluster" multifamily housing to areas with large minority populations or restricts its construction altogether.
- Some Catholic churches in Westchester and the rest of the state may be consolidating or closing, and the Archdiocese of New York is expected to announce its final decision this month.
- Superintendent of Pelham Schools Peter Giarrizzo recently received an Award of Excellence from the New York School Public Relations Assoc iation for engaging the community through using Twitter.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.