PELHAM, N.Y. Pelham Pizzeria and Ristorante manager John Ruffolo can't attend Sunday's Sept. 11 ceremony in Manhattan because of a family obligation but said the terror alert issued by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg on Thursday wouldn't have kept him away.
Ruffolo said the danger of an attack is always present and had confidence in New York's Finest.
"There's always going to be threats like that," Ruffolo said. "I'm sure New York has got it on lock. I'm sure New York's got it covered."
Even before Bloomberg released the alert, Westchester County had already taken measures to secure the area in anticipation of the 10th anniversary of Sept. 11. Det. John Hynes of the Pelham Police Department said officers have been working with the county to execute Operation Safeguard.
The operation involves officers routinely checking train stations and bus stops in the area. Pelham police have also checked the Con Edison station behind the Dunkin Donuts on First Avenue.
Hynes said the department has encouraged residents to keep an eye out for anything suspicious, including packages and bags left unattended.
Members of the Pelham Police Department honor guard will attend the Sept. 11 ceremony in town on Saturday morning. Hynes said several police officers will also attend.
The detective said the Pelham Police Department will not be part of the ceremony in New York City on Sunday in any official capacity, but officers can attend on their own if they so choose.
As for Pelham's memorial, Hynes said he expects a somber mood Saturday morning.
"I think it's going to be sad," Hynes said. "We lost 10 members (of Pelham). We're only two square miles. To lose 10 people in two square miles is definitely sad."
Contact Pelham reporter Andrew Meola at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.