PELHAM, N.Y. The Parish of Christ the Redeemer unified the two Episcopal churches in Pelham in the early 1970s. Both Christ Church and the Church of the Redeemer had existed for decades, however the two merged into the single church on Pelhamdale Avenue.
Christ Church was built in 1843 on Pelhamdale Avenue, while those in North Pelham worshipped at the Church of the Redeemer. The town realized in the early 1970s that it could not support both churches.
Around the same time, the diocese started its "Mission 72" project, which asked parishes to prepare for the future. The project led to a study that showed that membership had declined in both churches and that other religious denominations had begun to grow in Pelham.
The two parishes decided to merge, with Christ Church chosen as the place of worship. The Town of Pelham acquired the property of the Church of the Redeemer, which is now used as a senior center and municipal center. The cornerstone of that church sits outside the Richard J. Daronco Town House supporting a bell.
Contact Pelham reporter Andrew Meola at email@example.com.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.