PELHAM, N.Y. – March’s Book Club Selection for the Pelham Public Library is “Please Look After Mom” by South Korean author Kyung-Sook Shin.
The book will be discussed at the library on Thursday, March 6, at 7:30 p.m. The book is the story of Park So-nyo, 69, who disappears after becoming separated from her husband at a Seoul subway station. But the novel is the story of her family as well, as they reflect upon her; it is told from the perspectives of the husband, the eldest son, a daughter, and Park So-nyo herself.
In a review, novelist Jamie Ford wrote: "Please Look After Mom isn't merely a story of familial loss and longing, of the many veils of shame and surrender beneath one roof. This tale is a door, and once you cross its threshold, you'll never be able to go back to that comfortable place you came from. Your perceptions will be transformed. Permanently."
The library is open 6 days a week, including Mondays and Thursdays until 9 p.m.
Upcoming programs include a New York Health Exchange Presentation by the Business Council of Westchester on Thursday, Feb. 20 at 1:30 p.m. and an eight week career counseling seminar with orientation sessions scheduled for Thursday, Feb. 13 and Monday, Feb. 24, at 6:30 p.m.
Visit the Pelham Public Library website for complete details on events and times.
- 1 Dave & Buster's Opens Pelham Manor Location
- 2 Somers Pepsi Site Sells For Nearly $87M; Carlos Slim Said To Be Owner
- 3 Brody Family Sues Metro-North After Mother's Fatal Collision With Train
- 4 Man Clocked At 107 On I-684 Charged With Drug Possession, DWI, Police Say
- 5 'Property Brothers' Looking For Westchester Residents To Appear In TV Show