PELHAM MANOR, N.Y. A fire broke up at a raised ranch-style home on Lawrence Place late Tuesday afternoon after a boy tried to make macaroni and cheese in the microwave. No one was injured in the fire.
Pelham Manor Fire Department Chief Joseph Ruggiero said the boy, who apparently makes the food often, put the food in the wall-mounted microwave above the stove and left the room. When he came back, the microwave door had opened and flames were coming out of the appliance. The fire then spread to the rest of the kitchen.
The boy, who Ruggiero said was 11 or 12-years-old, quickly dialed 911 and left the house. Ruggiero praised the child for his quick thinking.
The kid did the right thing, Ruggiero said. The kid called 911 right away. He did a good job.
Ruggiero said the fire destroyed the kitchen and caused smoke and water damage to the living room, dining room, hallway and attic. The chief did not know if the parents were home at the time of the fire.
The boys call to 911 connected him with the New York Fire Department because of his proximity to the Bronx. Ruggiero said any 911 call from a cell phone or portable phone would probably relay him to New York City.
Three Pelham Manor Fire Department trucks and one Pelham Fire Department truck responded to the scene. The latter came as per protocol because the fire was initially reported as a structure fire, Ruggiero said.
In total, 10 paid and two volunteer firefighters from Pelham Manor and four firefighters from Pelham arrived. They had the fire under control within 15 minutes and did not need to use fire hydrants.
Firefighters shut off the gas at the meter after they contained the blaze because they did not want any more damage to occur later in the evening. As of 5:15 p.m., the home had no heat, hot water and only had partial electricity on the first floor.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.