PELHAM, N.Y. – Crews were out restoring power to homes throughout Pelham on Thursday, 10 days after Hurricane Sandy hit the area.
The village continues to speak with Con Edison about the situation, officials said. Con Ed crews assessed the situation Wednesday, and send out crews Thursday.
Village officials said they are very displeased with the communication and service response from Con Ed, and are working with state officials and contacts in state and Westchester County governments to see how the situation can move along.
Residents can contact Con Ed at 1-800-752-6633 to report outages, village officials said.
“Please know that the village understands it a very serious situation when homes and streets are without light and power. Every village employee is working to help as much as possible. We continually update our website and the cable TV scrolls with new information,” village officials said in a statement.
“There certainly will be a widespread review of Con Ed’s performance once normalcy has resumed in the state. We hope that such a review will ensure they revamp their communications and response times,” the statement said.
Traffic lights at First Street and Wolfs Lane (both sides of the train tracks) are still without power.
Residents are asked to contact the village Police Department at 914-738-2000 to report any emergency conditions. Non-emergency matters can be reported to 914-738-2014 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Village police officers are providing extra patrols in areas still in the dark. The Fire Department is available 24/7 for fire, gas leaks or EMT situations the village said.
Residents still needing shelter can use the The Daronco Townhouse, 20 Fifth Ave. to charge batteries, and stay warm to avoid hypothermia or frostbite.
The village advises residents to dress warmly in windproof clothing, go indoors to a heated area if they feel cold, wear several layers of loose-fitting clothing to trap body heat and remember gloves, scarves, and a hat that covers ears.
Residents need to call for medical assistance immediately if they think someone is suffering from hypothermia or frostbite.
Officials also say residents should never use a generator inside their home, or in enclosed areas such as garages, basements, porches, crawlspaces, sheds, carports or breezeways even with open windows, officials said.
The appliance should only be used outside away from open windows as carbon monoxide can build up in the appliances’ fumes and cause carbon monoxide poisoning, officials said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.