PELHAM, N.Y. -- Wondering what to serve your holiday guests this season? Think orange, according to Pelham-based caterer Nisa Lee of Nisa Lee Events ; specifically blood orange, for a margarita cocktail that bursts with flavor and freshness.
According to the self-taught Lee, who specializes in eclectic flavors, blood orange is a great cold weather fruit for its health benefits, all good for new year resolutions. The fruit supplies a healthy dose of vitamin C, small amounts of protein as well as potassium for a normal heartbeat and folate.
But, let's face it, it's also great for its colorful, festive look. "Because everything is freshly squeezed the flavors really pop," said Lee. She recently prepared this drink at a NYC event attended (and enjoyed by!) Sir Paul McCartney. (Her celebrity clientele includes Vanessa Williams, Hillary Clinton, and Halle Berry, among others.)
Here's the recipe.
Blood Orange Margarita Holiday Cocktail
- 2 ounces silver blanco tequila (Espolón, Milagro or any other 100 percent agave silver tequila)
- 2 ounces fresh blood orange juice (about 1 large blood orange, juiced)
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice (about 1 lime, juiced)
- 1 teaspoon light agave nectar
- 2 teaspoons Himalayan Salt salt and brown sugar rim (use all salt if you want)
- fresh lime wedges.
- Mix together the salt and sugar on a small plate.
- Run a wedge of lime around the top of your glass. Dip the top of the glass into the salt blend at a 45-degree angle and roll it from side to side to catch the salt.
- Add ice cubes to the glass and set it aside.
- Fill a small cocktail shaker with ice. Pour in the tequila, freshly squeezed blood orange and lime juice and agave nectar. If desired, add a drop of vanilla extract. Don't pour it straight from the bottle; use the blunt end of a fork as a dropper.
- Put on the lid and shake for 30 seconds. Strain the liquid into the glass and garnish with a slice of blood orange, if desired.
Another holiday tip: Freeze cranberries and use them as a festive garnish.
For more ideas, go to http://nisalee.wordpress.com/ .
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.